Monday, October 31, 2016

Hotel Halloween

31 October 2016
 
Our hotel in Hawaii had a special mid-day Halloween event that probably was geared toward children.  (Don't you love that they do this???)

Richard picked up a Halloween map this morning.  The plan was to have people pick up a special bag at registration, and follow the map.  There were five trick or treating stations around the hotel, all on the map.  Each "station" had a printed picture of a jack-o-lantern on the door, so it was easy to find the places.

We're talking the registration desk, the executive offices, the sales office, the catering office, and the shop where they book excursions.

I'm always up to acting silly.  So I drew a lightning bolt scar on my forehead with eyeliner and a little blush, put on my Harry Potter reading glasses, and wandered around outside to find a twig for my wand.  Wearing a white blouse and black capris.  Because Harry Potter wouldn't wear his blazer or robe in the tropics, right?

I headed down to the registration desk, brandished my wand, and said, "Wingardium leviosa!"  The lady behind the desk was so happy to finally have someone for the trick-or-treating program, and she loved my minimal costume.  She told me I was the first and only person thus far who was doing the trick-or-treat route, which of course we laughed about.  So she gave me the special bag and loaded me up with some candy.  Made sure I knew where to go on the map, and sent me on my way.

It really was funny.  I went to the various offices and everyone was so happy to see someone.  My favorite was the woman who said, "Oh good, we have chocolate, I know adults like chocolate!"  

And everyone recognized I was Harry Potter.

I was chatting with a Hawaiian woman who was selling jewelry, and we saw a little girl with her mom following the candy trail.  Finally, someone else!  Then another little girl came by with her family, but they didn't have the bag or map - so I handed over my map and told them to get the bag in registration, then they could trick-or-treat with their kidlet.  (Little girl then proceeded to jump up and down at the thought of candy.)

So Richard and I shared some candy, and the rest is set aside for the next few days.  Fortunately, everything is the mini size, so three mini Snickers are all of 128 calories.  Decent snack for a day.

Oh, and there was a tiny bag of special mini pretzels - they were in the shapes of bats and jack-o-lanterns!  I've never seen anything like it, that was pretty exciting!

Plus I got in 2.5 miles of walking, LOL!  That's what I call a good trick-or-treating day!

Don't you love retirement???

 

No comments:

Post a Comment